East Berlin, Capital of the GDR
November 2019 - 30 Years since the fall of the Berlin Wall.
East Berlin Capital of the GDR
East Berlin was the capital city of the German Democratic Republic from 1949 to 1990. Formally, it was the Soviet sector of Berlin, established in 1945. The American, British, and French sectors were known as West Berlin. From 13 August 1961 until 9 November 1989, East Berlin was separated from West Berlin by the Berlin Wall. The Western Allied powers did not recognise East Berlin as the GDR's capital, nor the GDR's authority to govern East Berlin.
On 3rd October 1990, the day Germany was officially reunified, East and West Berlin formally reunited as the city of Berlin.